Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Stuffed French Toast with a Side of Augustine...



Photobucket
I'm in the mood for a little distraction....a smidgen of reckless abandon (from my normally mostly clean diet that is).....
and I have just the recipe for times such as these.
Although some might consider this an indulgent way
to jump start your day,
this culinary delight is CLEARLY meant to be enjoyed
any time you are craving a sweet escape...
I was inspired to create this dish to celebrate my husband's love for peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and my love for french toast.
Throw in some challah bread and a few secret ingredients
to add a little mystery and drama to the dish, and we're talking
complete.
sensory.
overload.
Enter Stuffed French Toast
*recipe below*
With plate in hand, I headed to my bookshelf, and pulled down a copy of one of my favorite books, "Confessions" by Augustine,
a sure fire way to magnify the intensity of this morning's decadence.
Photobucket
As I flipped through the pages, I quickly remembered why this is one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures that I like to indulge in
from time to time ~
I sunk back into what seemed to be the comfiest pillow in the whole universe as the pages came alive:
"I came to love you late,
O Beauty so ancient and so new;
I came to love you late.
You were within me and I was outside
where I rushed about wildly searching for you
like some monster loose in your beautiful world.
You were with me but I was not with you.
You called me,
you SHOUTED to me,
you broke past my deafness!
You bathed me in your light,
you wrapped me in your splendour,
you sent my blindness reeling!
You gave out such a delightful fragrance,
and I drew it in
and came breathing hard after you.
I tasted, and it made me hunger and thirst;
you touched me, and I burned to know your peace.
So give what you command
And command what you will
For it is your order that we should practice self-control.
The man who insists on loving something besides you
does not really love you as he should,
unless he loves it because of you.
O love that always burns and is never extinguished
O love that is MY GOD
Set me a fire!"
I'm always amazed at how you can always find copies of his "Confessions" at any used bookstore.
How could anyone part with that jewel???
Must be hard pressed for cash or a true unbeliever.
Sometimes I can't read for too long or too much because it's just too much pleasure, ya know?
Like overeating ice cream, only you don't get a stomach ache or a wierd lactose intolerant reaction.....ha!
Serve up some of my stuffed french toast with a side of Augustine...
Go on Sweet Bellas, Try It...
and enjoy a double dose of delight
for both body and soul,
guaranteed.

Photobucket
Stuffed French Toast
3 eggs
1/2 cup half & half
1/4 cup Orange Juice
3 Tbsp Vanilla
Couple of Sprinkles of Ground Cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp of Rum
6 slices of Challah Bread, 1/4" thick
4 Tbsp of Creamy Natural Peanut Butter
One Banana, sliced
mix first 7 ingredients in a bowl large enough to dip bread in
quickly dip each side of challah bread into "batter" allowing excess to drip off
place on hot griddle
cook 1-2 minutes or until light golden brown, then flip and repeat on other side
place one slice of bread on plate
spread one tablespoon of peanut butter evenly on french toast slice
place 1/4 of banana slices evenly on slice
cover with 2nd slice of french toast
spread another one tablespoon of peanut butter evenly on french toast slice
place another 1/4 of banana slices evenly on slice
cover with 3rd french toast slice
top with homemade *cinnamon syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar, if desired
*Cinnamon Syrup
Simmer 1 Cup of Water
add 1 cup of Brown Sugar
Let the Brown Sugar melt & reduce down to 1 cup total
Remove from heat
add 2 Tbsp of heavy cream and 1/2 tsp of ground cinammon
*Can substitute real maple syrup, or, for those watching their sugar intake, try drizzling agave nectar!
mangia!

26 comments:

  1. This looks so good! So many of the stuffed french toast recipes I have tried are very intricate and require baking; I haven't gotten the hang of them yet, as the fillings get too mushy and the french toast never cooks. I'm delighted to find this recipe and try it! Seems much easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also you can try other thicker kinds of bread if you'd like, i happen to love challah bread - and panettone is also a wonderful bread to use for french toast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Now I'm in the mood to try that stuffed french toast recipe AND read that Augustine book! =)

    -Aimee
    www.aintyomamasblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bella - Food for the body and the soul!
    Your recipe looks luscious! I love "Confessions" by Augustine! Wrapped in the splendor of God, accompanied by your delightful dish... What a comforting way to spend the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that sounds delicious...just may make it this coming weekend, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with your hubs...I LOVE peanut butter and bananas. I eat it all the time, when I was preggers I ate it everyday. It was all I could tolerate for the first 4 months. Anyways, this looks delish and I just loved the side of Augustine! Your right, it's like rich ice cream...best enjoyed in small quantities! great job! Oh, and thanks for the recipe on syrup. I never thought of that. yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering. Going to try this out on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning! Thought I'd start your day with an award: http://foodfloozie.blogspot.com/2010/07/where-is-my-joan-rivers-jewelry.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful...and great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! This looks absolutely wonderful!!!
    I must try soon!

    I did try the quesadillas from your previous post. Yummy and quite simple! Cut my eggplant too big, but still very good. :)

    Hugs and blessings to you,

    Teri
    (Godsygirl.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That French Toast looks wonderful! And I'd never heard of "Confessions" before, but I really want to find a copy; that one was so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Jamie
    challah bread is perfect for stuffed French toast.. peanut butter and bananas are a wonderful filing! confessions are a perfect accompaniment for any meal! Although after this indulgence I may need to go to confession myself!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow....I need some of this right now! I have the rum..can someone stop over with the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  14. love french toast and then stuffed, super yumminess

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just finished a huge dinner and i think I can still make room for this! Lookin' good!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This looks delcious. Can't wait to try it.

    RWOP Lady Nann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Cinnamon Syrup sounds wonderful..would use it on all syrup-adorned foods (pancakes, ebelskivers, waffles, etc). Great looking French toast - looks befitting for dessert too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love french toast! I'll have to give this one a try...

    www.ramblingsofawoman.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, stuffed french toast looks so sinfully delicious! I love peanut butter and bananas and your cinnamon syrup sounds wonderful. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Psssst....go check my latest blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. My. God. I also love peanut butter and banana. I eat a banana spread thick with peanut butter on most days of the week. This looks heavenly. And I read the Augustine passage out loud to my daughter. She stopped nursing and stared at me. I think she liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This french toast looks delicious! Peanut butter and banana is such a good breakfast combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG! that looks good. I love to eat so I will be back to check you out. Showing some #31dbbb love

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your pictures, prompts me to want to eat, but let someone else cook! Have a background overcoming an eating disorder, food takes on all different dimensions, most of all the significant of nurture. That's why I love your connection of your recipes with the Lord. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love Augustine. So passionate and pure. Thanks for sharing this! :) Oh, and the French toast looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails