Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Season for Everything...

Photobucket
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace. ..
He has made everything beautiful in its time."

~ Ecclesiastes 3:1-8,11

The circle of life is on my mind tonight...the sound of "Taps" still resonating in my ears...the 21 gun salute...the presentation of the flag permanently etched into my memory.

World War II Vet. Iron Mike. Grandpa.

As a little girl, I gave my Grandfather such a hard time. I would prance around in my pigtails giving everyone in the room hugs and kisses....EXCEPT him. When he would ask for a kiss, I would sharply turn my head, and with eyes closed simply reply in a tiny breathy voice, "I have a headache" as I walked away - Sarah Bernhardt eat your heart out....

oh how it would drive him crazzzzzzzy.

From then on he
endearingly and affectionately
gave me the nickname
"P. I. F."
"Pain In The Foot"

Years have gone by,
and I've gone from that little girl
to a grown woman
who deeply appreciates the man

who loved his family more than anything ~ there's nothing he wouldn't do for them...

who was strong and courageous ~ "Iron Mike" to those who knew him best...

who was blessed with many gifts and talents ~ a remarkable stained glass artist and one who could fix just about anything.

who worked hard - a plumber by trade.

who was fiercely loyal ~ the best friend a man could have.

who was an avid reader - Although he didn't finish school, he believed if you can read, you can teach yourself to do anything, and he proved that. He taught himself to be fluent in several different languages (including Japanese!).

who served his country mightily ~ He lied about his age so that he could enlist. He was one of the men who was dropped down on the beach in Normandy on D-Day and survived...re-enlisted...and was the recipient of 3 purple hearts.

who lived a full life - filled to the brim with many exciting experiences - He always wanted to ride in a rodeo, so he bought a horse, taught himself to ride, and did. He wanted to learn to fly, so he got his pilot's license, and built a plane with his friend, and flew. He waterskiied, golfed, ballroom danced, shot billiards, traveled, and was never afraid to get up in front of a crowd and work the room, and share a song or two while he was at it...

He's been dubbed a cross between John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart...

But to me
he will always and forever be
"the most interestingggg man in the world"

And from this day forward,
when I think of Mike Messinger,
I won't remember how he died,
but rather
I will remember HOW HE LIVED....

Michael M. Messinger
1923-2010

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to an amazing man. Your grandfather sounds like such a wonderful person who lived life to the fullest. I love that he was such an avid reader!

    Although I'm sorry for your loss, I'm also happy that you were able to have such a fantastic person be a part of your life--such a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that scripture passage! So sorry for your loss, amiga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful and charming post about your grandfather. Sorry for your loss, but then he still lives in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to your grandpa! It looks as though you may get some of your zest for life from him. He certainly checked off a great deal of "bucket list" items! :) It is good to hear more about him and how he lived. I'm sure this is how he would want to be remembered.
    I've been praying for all of you and will continue to pray that God will heal your family and each person will feel a special peace as time goes forward and they remember this special, loving man who lived a good life and loved his family with all of his heart!
    You are in my heart! Love, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to your grandpa- he sounds like a special person who will be lovingly remembered by many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful tribute to a great man.....its amazing how that generation showed so much courage and determination...where would we have been without them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for your loss, my dear friend. But your grandfather's spirit is still alive in you and in all of the people he has touched. He sounds like a wonderful man and I have to say I am not surprised to see that you descended from such greatness. Prayers and love to you as you mourn your dear grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post and tribute...He sounds like a most amazing man, and I am sure your Grandfather's spirit lives on through you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible post. I would have liked your grandfather. Your grandfather is one of the reasons our country is the great nation it is today. He was a hero. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! That was AMAZING! New to you and thrilled.
    Can't wait to read more.
    Genevieve (AKA Superchick!)
    www.celebrate2da.com

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails