Friday, December 24, 2010

Red or Green? It's Christmas Time!

Photobucket
"If our greatest need had been information,
God would have sent an educator.
If our greatest need had been technology,
God would have sent us a scientist.
If our greatest need had been money,
God would have sent us an economist.
But since our greatest need was forgiveness,
God sent us a Savior."
~ Max Lucado

Red or Green?
No, I'm not referring to festive color schemes.
But I am talking about "christmas."A different kind of "christmas."
Chile.
And if you're like me, you simply cannot decide.
Just ask my husband.
So when the waitress asks the infamous New Mexican state question: "Red or Green?"
us indecisive peeps simply reply "Christmas please!"

Christmas chile. Is there anything grander? Perhaps. But not when it comes to my enchiladas.

And so, I would like to share with you the recipes for the very staple of New Mexican cuisine, as it was taught to me.
Red and Green Chile.
And I'm not talking from the powder folks. Straight from the pods. yes indeed.
*recipes below*

This time of year, you can bet that just about every New Mexican household is feasting on a plethora of
enchiladas, tamales, posole, rellenos, sopapillas, tacos, fresh torts,
and all the biscochitos you can fathom.
sigh....I heart New Mexico.

That's what I'll be doing. And as the sound of laughter from friends and family fills the air, embraces will be exchanged.
Hearts will be rejoicing in exultation at the whole reason we gather together,
to celebrate the birth of our Saviour.

"...the people who sat in darkness have seen a great light. And for those who lived in the land where death casts its shadow, a light has shined." (Isaiah 9:2, Matthew 4:6 NLT)

I'd like to close by sharing my all time favorite Christmas song with you, "How Many Kings" by Down Here.

This, Sweet Bellas, is the reason for the season.


Follow the star to a place unexpected
Would you believe, after all we've projected,
A child in a manger?
Lowly and small, the weakest of all
Unlikeliest hero, wrapped in his mother's shawl -
Just a child -
Is this who we've waited for? 'cause...

How many kings stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
And how many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only One did that for me.

Bringing our gifts for the newborn Savior
All that we have, whether costly or meek
Because we believe.
Gold for his honor, and frankincense for his pleasure
And myrrh for the cross he will suffer
Do you believe?
Is this who we've waited for?

How many kings stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
And how many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only One did that for me.

All for me...
All for you...


Merry Christmas!


Photobucket
RED CHILE CARRIBE SAUCE
Wash and remove seeds, stems, ( the more seeds you leave in, the hotter the sauce will be).
I generally use about 12-15 pods to make a nice batch of chili for one pan of enchiladas
and still have enough left over for a breakfast or two.
Place dried red chile pods in a large pot of water, cover, and bring to a boil.
Cook pods until they become plump and tender.
Turn off heat, and allow pods and water to cool completely.
Once cooled, using tongs, take the pods and put them in the blender and puree with some of the stock
from the pot and a teaspoon of dried oregano.
Continue to do this in batches until all of the pods are blended into a thick sauce,
about the consistency of just a bit more watery than a tomato paste.
In a large skillet, sautee 3 cloves of garlic with 3 Tbsp of oil (or lard) :)
*traditionally, people brown cubed pork, or beef, next, but disregard if you would like this to be vegetarian.
as soon as the garlic starts to give off an aroma and the oil is bubbling around the garlic
add 2 Tbsp of flour to create a roux
Immediately add the chili puree to the pan and stir well.
Add about a cup of water, and salt to taste. You may add more water to your desire, constantly tasting until it's just right.
Allow the sauce to cook down and thicken just a bit.
Turn off heat.
Smother over anything and everything until your heart is content!

GREEN CHILE SAUCE
In a large skillet, sautee 3 cloves of garlic with 3 Tbsp of oil (or lard) :)
*traditionally, people brown cubed pork, or beef, cubed or ground, next,
but disregard if you would like this to be vegetarian.
as soon as the garlic starts to give off an aroma and the oil is bubbling around the garlic
add 2 Tbsp of flour to create a roux
Immediately add appx. 2 cups of chopped green chili (roasted and peeled) to the pan and stir well.
Add about 2 cups of water, and 14 oz. of fresh diced tomatoes,
or you may use one can of diced tomatoes. Salt to taste.
Allow it to cook down and thicken, taste to see if it needs more water.
Let your tastebuds be your guide here.
You may add more water to your desire, constantly tasting until it's just right.
Allow the sauce to cook down and thicken.
Turn off heat.
Smother over anything and everything until your heart is content!

10 comments:

  1. Sai che non conoscevo queste ricette, grzie per avermele fatte conoscere. Auguro a te e a tutta la tua famiglia Buon Natale e felice 2011. Un abbraccio Daniela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie
    what a wonderful Christmas post! I am old fashioned about my sauces and have always leaned towards red, but your green looks sooooo good to!
    Thank you so much for all you have given me this year, I love reading your posts and your messages. You have really brightened my life!
    My best wishes for a joyous Christmas for you and your family!
    Always
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, sister! We are slowing down a little this morning to focus on the reason for the season. Just wanted to stop by to see your post and wish you a very Merry Christmas!
    We have been eating so many sugary treats, I think your chile will be a welcome change of pace...and I'll take both please! :)
    JOY, JOY and more JOY to you, and thank you for your LIGHT! Love and hugs! Lorraine xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao! That's ok lol, sometimes that happens to me too where I type somebody's name & it's really meant to be written for another person. As a blogger I understand that there is a lot of people to respond to & the names get mixed up of what to say to what person. Hope you had a fantastic Christmas with lots of blessings. Have a fab New Year with a bright future ahead!


    Hope to talk to you more too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jamie-I hope you had a Joyous Christmas, with your wonderful family, and friends. I do miss the white Christmas, but not the snow storms.
    I moved to S. Florida in the seventies, and I love the changing of the four seasons, but then again...we can't have it all!

    Your Christmas post is a gift of LOVE, and your gorgeous red and green chile sauce would be a "great seller" if you should decide to bottle it, and sell it to the public!...that's how amazing it is!

    You are truly blessed, my dear, new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ran across your blog from SITS. I'm SO excited to see you have "How Many Kings" posted on here. Downhere is my all time favorite band and I LOVE their music! Merry (late) Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buon Natale Jamie! I hope your Christmas was beautiful:) I would take the red or green sauce!! Have a peaceful and wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of "How Many Kings". I like, I like!

    I also love the way you describe family. Warms my heart.

    New year blessings, my friend and sister!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you had a most beautiful Christmas...
    Wonderful post as always,and oh my those sauces are delightful!
    Loved the song and wishing for you the most glorious on New Years...
    Huge hugs,
    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post! I ALWAYS go for the green!

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails