Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Graciousness...and The Greatest Show on Earth


"There are five things you cannot recover in life:
(1) The Stone...after it's thrown.
(2) The Word...after it's said.
(3) The Occasion...after it's missed.
(4) The Time...after it's gone.
(5) A person...after they die."
~Author Unknown

My inbox is O-V-E-R-F-L-O-W-I-N-G.
The list of phone calls to return keeps growing.
And so does the amount of time it takes me to respond.

Yep, I'll be playing perpetual "catch up" for quite a while
now that my world has expanded.

One baby ~ a breeze.
Two babies ~ a bit of a juggle.
Three babies ages 3 and under ~ a three ring circus!
EXHILARATING and EXHAUSTING.
Simultaneously.

That being said...
It truly is "The Greatest Show on Earth!"

At my husband's suggestion, I've carved out a few hours 
one night a week to....decompress.
Tonight, I'm sitting by the window in a coffee shop.
Etta James is crooning in the background,
a steaming rich cup of cafe mocha sits to my right.
Conversations of nearby strangers grow faint as
my thoughts begin to trickle from "the vault."

The new year has taken off in it's usual style.
Full throttle pedal to the metal acceleration.
And as always...there are no repeats.

So what am I thinking about between sips?
Well, funny you should ask...

There's a colleague of mine named Bill McCoy.
He's a true original. 
Understated, yet distinguished.
Well respected in our profession.
A brilliant educator. 
And above all...gracious.

I've sat in numerous classes under his instruction over the years.
His relaxed humorous style always keeps things fresh,
and engages the audience time and again with his ever expanding knowledge.

But without fail, regardless of what class he is teaching,
he falls subject to a variety of outrageous questions and "hypothetical" scenarios.

His knack for restating the facts, walking you through as many times as needed for comprehension,
and helping you gain perspective from a different angle is....well....a gift.
Not to mention his uncanny ability of sensing just how many 10 minute breaks are necessary for survival.

But above all....he is gracious.

No matter how cynical the comment, 
no matter how many times the same question is asked,
he is so. very. gracious. 
patient. 
pleasant. 
tactful.
warmly courteous.

This is what I'd like to purpose in my heart to do this year...
To be. more. GRACIOUS.
Both to the people I know, and the people I don't.
To give them the grace to be, and the room to become.
To love people where they're at, and give them the space to grow.
Because sweet bellas, let's face it. you can't take it back. Any of it.
We simply do not know what tomorrow holds.
There are no repeats.

Thanks Bill, for being such a cool cat, and reminding me
of what a big impact a little grace can give.
And...
for teaching me that now matter what comes my way, 
with enough 10 minute breaks,
I can tackle anything *wink*
and do it graciously :)

16 comments:

  1. Ah, what a tribute to a true scholar. There are those teachers who simply push information at their students because they have to; and then there are those for whom the teach profession is the passion of passing along the vision of _______ to those who are willing to listen. He sounds like an incredibly awesome, wonderful man.

    It's so good to have you back and read your words, even if it's a quick coming up for air. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I can hardly handle one little dynamo. I don't know how you can do it with three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written Bella, and so true. I love that quote at the top as well.
    Bill sounds like a great instructor and a wonderful example. He is in the right position to allow others to feel what grace feels like, and hopefully to learn how to give it. God must have gifted you with a massive amount of grace when He chose to give you three little one's so close in age!
    You certainly are a beautiful example of gift of grace to me! I thank God for you daily...and I thank Him also for ten minute breaks! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Bella, soon your Three Ring Circus will turn into a graceful juggling act that you do with ease. I bet your instructor friend learns in return from those he teaches. I'm thankful for 10 minute breaks too. I don't know how you do it, I don't have any little ones anymore, yet I am always yearning for just a few more hours in each day.

    I got your card today, thanks, it filled my heart with joy to brighten you and the kids day.

    Hugs,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked the list of five things that can't be recovered. For me #'s 2 and 5 are the most painful.

    Also liked what you wrote about graciousness. Bill sounds like a good model for this lifestyle.

    Linked here frm MultiDimensonal Life.

    You have a good blog. wb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your beautiful post, sweet Bella! Your children are your "three ring circus" ...for now, full of entertainment, fun, and laughter, daring fun tricks that keep you "spellbound"

    To be gracious, comes with kindness,compassion, generosity, patience, and understanding. You have all these traits my dear...which comes from within the spirit. There's a verse that I would like to share with you that is one of my favorites, just like the little prayer that was a favorite of my children when they were little. They called it the "sunshine prayer" also from Isaiah. "may God be gracious to you and bless you, and make his face to shine upon you"...is a blessing I pass on to YOU, with love!

    Isaiah 30:18

    Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you;
    therefore he will rise up to show you compassion.
    For the LORD is a God of justice.
    Blessed are all who wait for him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely post -
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful post. God Bless the husbands that encourage us to carve time out just for ourselves. It is priceless. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, ad always, my dear Bella. I will think twice before I whine about my one 5 year old. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear bella...I do hope by now all three of your precious children are all better now. I know it's not easy for you to find time to post, or to even comment; not to mention to write e-mails, but I do want you to know I am concerned, care, and love you and your beautiful Joshua, Sophia, and baby Luke!
    Your family is close to my heart, and I keep you in my daily thoughts and prayers...just like my own family:DDD
    with warm wishes, and hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely tribute :)
    I hope all is well and wishing you a lovely Valentines Day...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea of graciousness. So often we rush and hurry through things, but I can just imagine how nice it would be to just calmly go with the flow, maintaining composure and just enjoying the day. It sounds like you're doing a great job of working that into your life. I love the one-a-week decompression time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your post. So true. And I'm learning to be more gracious too. :) I also love the "There are five things you cannot recover in life" that you shared. I might have read it somewhere before but worth refreshing my memories and think deeper of it's meaning. Thanks for sharing and wish you a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As the mom of three, I completely agree...but life would not bring so much joy without each of them :) Wonderful list of the 5 things you can't recover...as well as the reminder to be gracious in all situations. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails